I believe that an effective counselling relationship is based on:
- Empathy - the ability to listen to a client’s story and understand what it is like to be in the person’s shoes.
- Establishing safety and trust in the therapeutic relationship through confidentiality and transparency.
- Working in my client’s best interests.
- Having a range of skills and evidence based interventions with which to treat a wide variety of issues.
- Uses recognized assessment and evaluation methods.
- Provides a positive experience.
With these concepts in mind, I specialize in the following areas: